Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chicken Pho (Check mark)



Com 40 Cau Go

By check mark I mean our soup has an authentic Hanoi taste (we knew that when we developed it) as found on the streets of Hanoi. We have a favorite place we go and have a few bowls of Pho Ga every time we stay in Hanoi; it is in the old town close to Com Que restaurant. When we first went there it was an impressive little restaurant that had tables right up to the street, but the rules have changed and they have to keep the tables off the side walk. Amazing when you see most of the one pot restaurants set up on the side walk and they never have an issue with the police.

2010

2013 showing prep area

2013


The one thing that has not changed is the Pho Ga, it is near perfect as a chicken soup can be made. There are couple of  different variations at this restaurant and other dishes too. We tried some of the ready to eat food but were not very impressed so we will stick with the soup we love.

The soup base is like ours and the meat they served us was cut from the breast; except for the skin on the meat the soup tasted like ours. I was impressed with the work of the family in keeping our taste so close to the real street taste of Hanoi. The soup was a reminder of home and the many bowls of chicken soup I have eaten at the restaurant. All I needed was our satay oil to add at the end to spice it up and blast my senses into overdrive. Of course if I had did that I could not have tasted the other bowls we ordered to eat too. In Vietnam the portions are much smaller than ours so we normally have a couple of bowls if all we are eating is soup.

Regular pho ga





Bun Thang
Chicken soup with Vietnamese ham, egg, white radish, onion, cilantro. New to me and I think could be easily reproduced at the restaurant. I will discuss it with the actual masters of our cooking and advocate for a trial of the soup. 

Duck soup


Duck soup with bamboo, pork blood and duck meat
Good

Of the two chicken soups we ate that time one was new to me and I think could be easily reproduced at the restaurant. I will discuss it with the actual masters of our cooking and advocate for a trial of the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment